Duck Fart shots or Alaskan Duck Fart shots taste way better than they sound. Easy to make, they consist of gorgeous layers of creamy Irish Cream, coffee liqueur, and a warming whiskey.
What is a Duck Fart Shot?
A Duck Fart shot is an Alaskan drink made of layers of Bailey’s Irish Cream, Kahlua Coffee Liqueur, and a good whiskey like Jameson’s or Jim Beam Vanilla.
Since the drink originated in Alaska, it’s sometimes called the Alaskan Duck Fart Shot. Perfect for parties and gatherings, it’s also a great conversation starter.
How was the Duck Fart Shot created?
There are a few different stories about the origin of the Duck Fart Shot. The most plausible is that it was invented in Alaska in 1987.
Late one night at the Peanut Farm Sports Bar and Grill in Anchorage, it was nearing closing time and the bartender was serving an older lady. He poured Kahlua into a shot glass and then spooned in some Bailey’s Irish cream liqueur.
It’s said that the lady customer suggested he top it off with a Crown Royal whiskey. And that’s how the duck fart shot was born. It spread all over Alaska and the United States and has been popular ever since.
What is the difference between the Alaskan Duck Fart Shot and a B52 Shot?
The Duck Fart shot is an American three-layered drink, while the B52 is a Canadian drink made in a similar style.
While the Duck Fart is made with Kahlua, Bailey’s, and whiskey, the B52 is made with Kahlua, Bailey’s, and the orange-flavored Grand Mariner liqueur (sometimes Triple Sec or Cointreau). The drinks look similar but taste different!
Recipe Pointers For Duck Fart Shots
- Chill the shot glasses before use.
- You can use a pouring spoon to help you with adding the second layer.
- It’s normal for the whiskey to mix a little with the Bailey’s. Don’t worry about that.
- Don’t let the spoon touch the layer of liquid below it while pouring.
- Do not sip. The shot must be consumed in one gulp so that you get the full effect of all the flavors.
FAQs about Duck Fart Shots
What whiskeys can I use to make duck fart shots?
Duck fart shots are perfect when you use Jameson, Crown Royal, Jim Beam Vanilla, Knobb Creek, or Canadian Club. But any other whiskey will also work. The key is to use a whiskey that you enjoy drinking.
What is the difference between Bailey’s and Kahlua?
Bailey’s is an Irish liqueur made with cream and Irish whiskey, while Kahlua is a Mexican liqueur made with rum and coffee.
What can I use if I don’t have Kahlua?
If you can’t find Kahlua liqueur, use Tia Maria liqueur or Sheridan’s liqueur.
Can I add the Bailey’s first and then the Kahlua?
No, you can’t do this. For layered drinks to stay separate, they need to have the liquid with the highest sugar content at the bottom. Kahlua has more sugar in it than Bailey’s, so it needs to be at the bottom.
What does the Duck Fart taste like?
The Duck Fart will give you a slight burn from the whiskey followed by the slightly sweet creamy tastes of the liqueur, almost like a Mudslide shot.
- 1 oz (1/3 of a shot glass) of Kahlua coffee liqueur
- 1 oz (1/3 of a shot glass) of Baileys Irish Cream
- 1 oz (1/3 of a shot glass) of Jameson whisky
- Pour Kahlua into the chilled shot glass.
- Tilt the glass to 45 degrees and start pouring a layer of Baileys on top of the Kahlua. You can use a spoon to help you with layering.
- Repeat the same process with whisky. Keep in mind that it will slightly mix with Baileys so you will end up with 2 visible layers.